Saturday, April 6, 2013

Divorce and Remarriage

Unfortunately, divorce is something in our society that is so regularly seen that it is no longer seen as a big deal. What is funny to me however, is that 70% of couples who divorce regret their divorce within 2 years. 70%! That's a huge number. To me, what this means is that couples really do love each other and want to make things work, but they dont put forth sufficient effort to do so. What I also found interesting is that men more likely get remarried, or at least men get remarried faster. Why? Think about it. Women typically get most or all custody of the kids (if there are any) and they now have to support themselves all on their own. Their time is now fully consumed by kids and work meaning that they dont have time to go out and meet people to have the option of remarriage. Men on the other hand, typically have a lot more time on their hands to meet new people.

There are so many reasons why divorce is a necessity. But I think that it should always be looked at as an absolute last resort-especially if the couple has children. The effects of divorce on children can be very extreme. I have seen several divorces in my life (fortunately not my parents personally). One of which is actually my roommate. I have seen her go through it since the beginning and it has been really hard on her. I've seen how her dad has become more distant and her mom has pressured her to pick sides. Plus she has two younger brothers who are still living at home who, I am sure, are having just as hard-if not harder-time with the separation. When going through a divorce, and after, it is important to make sure your kids know you love them, not force them to pick sides, and maintain an authoritative parenting style. Not all children will experience divorce the same, but doing everything you can to make sure that the children adjust well is vitally important.

No comments:

Post a Comment